The Berlin Diaries #2 - Berlin Zoo, KaDeWe and Flower Markets

I've officially been living in Berlin for a whole month - how time flies! I've had so much fun so far and I thought I'd recap the past three weeks in another Berlin Diaries post. If you haven't read the first one - here's a link. I was really lucky to have my boyfriend stay with me for a week over Easter so I had an excuse to go exploring and take a few photos. I tried to pack in lots of activities but unfortunately we were a bit limited due to my work schedule, bank holidays and unpredictable weather. Despite the struggles, the three best things we did were the Berlin zoo, a trip to the KaDeWe and a local farmer's market.     

The Berlin Zoo is absolutely huge and hosts every animal from polar bears to kangaroos. The entry price was reasonable at 15 Euro for students which also included the aquarium. The day we picked to go ended up being quite dark and rainy but we made the most of it and luckily many of the animals were inside. I'm really impressed with the photos I stole from my boyfriend and I would recommend it if you have a few hours to spare in Berlin. My highlight was probably the nocturnal zone where you can see animals such as aardvark, desert foxes and bats. Take a look at the photos below.



On our dedicated shopping day we started off at the KaDeWe - one of the biggest department stores in Europe. There's not too much to say other than wow. It's every shopaholic's dream and I had lots of fun at the beauty hall, Topshop concession stand and the gourmet food floor. The photo below is a marzipan Brandenburg Gate and I could have easily left the store with a bag full of sweet treats. We ended up going to the Wintergarden restaurant for lunch which is a greenhouse-like area on the sixth floor. The restaurant has a huge luxury buffet where everything is priced by weight and I was extremely excited to go back after previously visiting last year. It was very expensive but a great way to try lots of different things. After reluctantly leaving we went to Kurfurstendamm shopping area and Hackescher Markt which is a little like Camden in London. 


On Easter Saturday we went to a local food and flower market in Schoneberg. It's a bi-weekly market with a variety of fresh fish, meat, fruit and vegetables, clothes and flowers. The weather was glorious and a must-do if you have time in Berlin. I love taking photos of flowers so I was definitely in my element here. 


I hope you enjoyed the next instalment of my photo series, make sure you're following me on Twitter if you'd like to see more. 

xxx

Post a Comment